Images and content

Any copyright images or content displayed here will removed on request. Thanks.

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Healthy Living

Anyone out there remember Health and Efficiency?







This magazine was a god-send for a boy teenager in the 70s. 



So many secret moments of doing you know what, holding a copy of the magazine in one hand and something else in the other.







This was also the decade that I discovered the existence of saunas but they were very much a Nordic experience and not one that I was likely to come across in the UK. 

Certainly not one like this. 



I was even more intrigued at that age to learn that saunas meant switching with birch twigs, something I have yet to experience. A whipping in a sauna is on my bucket list, with ladies only present.

The stimulus to all of these thoughts was when I came across this image; discovered on Tumblr,



It immediately screamed Health and Efficiency at me , but the blonde girl's hand would not have been allowed there in 1975.

In 1949 the magazine was in good health but the cover was a little more discrete, with bikinis and not nudity. To be fair this is as exciting as the fully nude covers which came later.



Hey ho. Tempus Fugit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Look forward to your comments. It is nice to get feedback. I cannot reply to comments on my mobile phone so I will make a separate comment to respond to you.